• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need power for an Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Debeers

Need power for an Albin 25

Post by Debeers »

Hello,
I am new to this Group and to Albins
I am buying a 1970 Albin 25 with a blown Albin 2 cly but good Trans.
What should I look for and should I change out the trans as well.
Any suggestions or good diesel motors.

Thank you Dan
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the board. I'm sure you will find some good information here about your A25. I am a 28 owner but one thiing that I have read is not to over power the A25. The last thread I read on another Albin Cruisers site talked about the 60 hp range because of weight on the stringers, etc.
Others more knowledgeable than I will jump in here.

I checked out your website. Very nice photos. I liked the garden boat photo. Been looking for one of those myself.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Joe

Post by Joe »

I repowered an Albin 25 with a Beta Marine 28hp diesel. It's really more power than the boat needs. I also sold a Beta Marine 20hp engine for an Albin 25, and the owner reports that he has enough power to drive the boat to hull speed.

As I understand it, the earlier boats were displacement hulls, with an 8 knot top speed, so 20 or 25hp is fine. We suggest the Beta 25 for these boats.

The later boats are semi-displacement, and capable of 10 or 12 knots. We recommend the Beta 35 for this application.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a 1977 Albin 25, and am a Beta Marine engine dealer.

Joe DeMers - owner - www.SoundMarineDiesel.com

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”