• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electrical bonding to copper ribbon

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Electrical bonding to copper ribbon

Post by Thumper74 »

During my wire chase mission, I have found a braided cable attached to a copper ribbon. But the other end of said braided cable is not attached to anything. Where should I reattach it?? It’s about a inch wide, a good 12-14inches long. But it’s not attached on the other end.

Any ideas??

Also the location of bonding strap is right at the helm station. Where most of the wires and connections are. The copper ribbon seems to run along the edge of boat and around. With a few ribbons going down into the Bilge
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Electrical bonding to copper ribbon

Post by dkirsop »

This sounds like a grounding strap installed to protect the boat from a lighting strike and would only be of use if you used a sail rig. It would normally run from the mast to a grounding plate on the bottom of the boat. If you do not have a mast or grounding plate then it is not required.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Electrical bonding to copper ribbon

Post by WillieC »

Maybe it is for use with the flux capacitor modification mentioned elsewhere.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”