• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bottom finish after walnut blasting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ajrebman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: WATERTOWN

Bottom finish after walnut blasting

Post by ajrebman »

Just had the hull of my 2001 Albin 32+2 blasted with walnut shells. The hull is painted with
Green Awlgrip. The hull where it was blasted is green, was the hull green gel coated from
the factory or is it just awlgrip painted? The hull looks to be in good condition and I was wondering
if I need to Barrier Coat it or just do a sight coat then bottom coat. Any recommendations?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Bottom finish after walnut blasting

Post by WillieC »

Listen to the recommendations from the paint supplier. We used Pettit products and went ahead with a double barrier coat then a couple coats of bottom paint. It's been 4 or 5 years and we haven't seen barrier coat yet, except for the odd bashing we submit the hull to. (We do touch up and have added at least one full recoat of BP.)

All this to say, the boat probably went a long time without any attention. Still floated. You've gone to the big expense of hull prep. Do it right per the manufacturer's instructions. It's just money.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

ajrebman wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:37 am Just had the hull of my 2001 Albin 32+2 blasted with walnut shells. The hull is painted with
Green Awlgrip. The hull where it was blasted is green, was the hull green gel coated from
the factory or is it just awlgrip painted? The hull looks to be in good condition and I was wondering
if I need to Barrier Coat it or just do a sight coat then bottom coat. Any recommendations?
All Albins were originally gel-coated and yours apparently was green and a previous owner then painted above the waterline with Awlgrip.
My 31TE was laid up with green gel-coat and then later painted above the waterline with Awlgrip's Awlcare in Jade Mist (green).

My former 28 TE was laid up with Flag Blue gel-coat which had never been painted and as we all know, it was a ton of work to maintain its luster. I always threatened to have it painted, but had moved on to the 31 TE before doing so.

FWIW and my opinion - you've taken the first step in a long journey of giving your hull, below its waterline, and yourself the complete maintenance that is deserved. Do the right thing and take it the full distance of proper prep to barrier coat and then bottom painting. You'll thank yourself later and only add value. As you've mentioned take the additional step of a sight / base coat of a different bottom coat color.

Here's a post of my soda blast stripping and bottom paint project on my former 28TE :
https://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtop ... oat#p28684
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

I have barrier coated two boats that I have owned. Definitely worth it. We barrier coated a 34' sailboat in 1999. Bottom still looks great. No paint flaking off etc. Have use ablative. Nice and smooth.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”