• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lewmar Pro Sport Windlass

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Lewmar Pro Sport Windlass

Post by Ambler27FC »

I have an Albin 27 with a Pro Sport 550 windlass. Possibly common on A27's and A25's. The very similar Pro Sport 700 might be used on A28's or slightly larger.

Darned thing did not work after launch this year. After testing the usual electrical stuff I opened the windlass case and water poured out, so the problem is thankfully obvious. I suspect rain-water with the case gaskets hardening over winter. A new motor is on order and am re-conditioning the gears and mechanisms. I've been working on this boat since March and we are doing a trip next week, period.

So, two questions for anyone with a similar experience:

1. Planning to use RTV silicone to reseal the cases. The factory seals are visibly deficient. I was thinking of also adding some sort of tape over the joints to keep rainwater out and/or sewing a Sunbrella cover for the assembly to protect it. Are there any better solutions?

2. Longer term, is there a better windlass for this size boat - which does require a deck-mount? I don't mind annual maintenance (and none is specified with this model), but water in a DC motor is a bit much. When it works this windlass has been great, but trouble-free anchoring is a safety issue.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: Lewmar Pro Sport Windlass

Post by Capt Brad »

I had to replace my Lewmar 1000 on my 28. Same issue. The new one has a thicker rubber gasket . I put silicone sealer over the gasket seal anyway..... and liberally at that. I think somewhere along the line they realized they a sealing issue.
Capt Brad
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thanks Capt Brad. I think I am going to go liberal on the silicone, forgo the current gasket (which seems deficient b/c of bolt spacing and flange width) and find some sort of tape to guarantee the seem for the season anyway. It may be good that they have improved models - fitting a different unit could be challenging.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Buy a new 700, they are about $700, or was the last time I looked.
Every windlass I have met needs a canvas or plastic cover, cheap and easy
to make and it will make a big difference.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thanks for that advise Norseman. I'll pull the sewing machine out of storage and sort through the Sunbrella scrap cloth. I've just spent time and money reconditioning this unit so I'm going to try and get it through another season or two. After that, if the 700 has the same bolt pattern it will be an obvious move. I don't need extra power, but reliability I would pay for.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”