• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mirror in Head----Cracked and needs replaced

Albin's "power cruisers"
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

I believe that the mirror in the head is a plexiglass mirror. Has anyone had an experience with replacing this mirror? Ours has a crack and it also has numerous black splotches on it and it sure needs replaced. I guess the right repair would involve removing the teak "frame" and replacing the mirror. Has anyone tried to simply "glue" a replacement mirror on top of the original mirror?
1987 Albin 27 SC
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

You could do that but I don't know if you could get the new glass to fit flush enough on the frame.
The frame, I'm guessing, is just glued at the joints and shouldn't be too difficult to take apart once removed from the hinges. Then you could match the new mirror's size to the old one. While you have it apart, you could sand and stain the frame.

I agree...old boat mirrors look bad.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

Here is an Update on the Mirror replacement project. In my A27 the mirror is approximately 40" X 40". I am here in Northern Michigan with no easy sources for plexiglass mirror. My local "glass shop" gave me an estimate of $295 for the material and another $100 to install --Ouch!. I checked the Internet and found 1/8" plesiglass mirror at about $90 for a half sheet (48" X 48") but shipping was a killer at $75-150. But, I had to go to the Detroit area to attend a wedding and I found a huge "plastics" warehouse tht sold me a full sheet (48" X 96") for $85 and they cut it at no charge so that I could fit it into the Honda Accord I was driving (two pieces of 42" X 48" plus the "drop" piece of 12" X 48"). So now I have enough material to do the job twice, but that was the cheapest solution all the way around. I removed the teak frame, and the old mirror came very easily, even though Albin used some glue as well as screws though the teak frame at the top of the mirror. Let me tell you that this new plexiglass mirror is beautiful. It really brightens up the whole head it is so brilliant.
1987 Albin 27 SC

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”