• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Key replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Washington, WA

Key replacement

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

I searched the archive, was surprised this hasn't been addressed. Any suggestions how might I obtain a mate to the singular skeleton key I received with the purchase of my new-to-me A25? A local locksmith told me he had no immediate sources for this key.
It's always easier to stay found than to get un-lost.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Key replacement

Post by jleonard »

Why don't you post a couple of good clear pics of what you have? I have a couple skeletons laying around and if anything looks close you can have it/them to mess with.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

jleonard wrote:Why don't you post a couple of good clear pics of what you have? I have a couple skeletons laying around and if anything looks close you can have it/them to mess with.
Good idea! The key isn't at home - it's on the boat right now (NOT under the welcome mat :lol: ), so I'll take a pic and post in a day or two.
Pat
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

You will have to go at flee market and find a dealer with old keys... bring one of your key, or better bring the lock and try to get the best one... with a little drill you can adjust the key you buy. Good luck!
(I found some of them at my local locksmith (expensive) and a lot at the flee market... and cheap)
Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

leprof31 wrote:You will have to go at flee market and find a dealer with old keys... bring one of your key, or better bring the lock and try to get the best one... with a little drill you can adjust the key you buy. Good luck!
(I found some of them at my local locksmith (expensive) and a lot at the flee market... and cheap)
Love the Flea Market idea! That makes me consider cruising some antique shops as well.

Still - I would think there must be some misguided collector-soul on the planet who is as quirky as we who own these lovable old treasures. There are collectors/dealers for most all else - it would seem that someone out there has a box full of old keys and similar artifacts, hoping to make a buck from guys like me.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have been in a number of consignment shops that have "old treasures"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I don't know if this helps or not but my A27 only came with one key and after almost losing it I thought I had better do something. After trying locksmiths to no avail I contacted my Isuzu dealer and simply changed out the whole key set so now I have two keys and no worries if I happen to lose one.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

This is not an option with the A-25. And we are not talking about engine keys, but keys for doors. Engine keys, like volvo one, still available.
Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

Bo Pop Pop wrote:
jleonard wrote:Why don't you post a couple of good clear pics of what you have? I have a couple skeletons laying around and if anything looks close you can have it/them to mess with.
Good idea! The key isn't at home - it's on the boat right now (NOT under the welcome mat :lol: ), so I'll take a pic and post in a day or two.
Pat
Finally remembered to take my camera. Here's a pic of the subject key - any ideas about sources for a replacement would be appreciated. Do rulz allow a cross-post on the maintenance forum with a wider interest base beyond the A-25?
Bo Pop Pop
Mate
Mate

Post by Bo Pop Pop »

QUICK UPDATE on post #7: I found a key (2 in fact)!

With this item fresh on my mind, I needed to run an errand that brought me by an antique store that was open on Sunday. Ta Da! They had about 1/2 dozen assorted old skeleton keys and I found two that ought to fit. If not a perfect fit, I have a good base that I can grind or braze to make 'em work. I didn't quibble at the $7 apiece. I'll report here whether they work or not.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Do rulz allow a cross-post on the maintenance forum with a wider interest base beyond the A-25?
Done. But, you may have already found a solution.

Good Luck,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Sounds like a score!!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Woody
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rideau Ferry Harbour

Post by Woody »

I just brought the cabin door into a locksmith (easier than removing the lock). He made me 2 new spares that work fine.
'Chipmunk' the Albin
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Thank God you didn't have to bring him the boat :D
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”