• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Optimum Anchor for 28 TE in Chesapeake area ?

Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Optimum Anchor for 28 TE in Chesapeake area ?

Post by Richard »

I just purchased a new 28 TE (2007 Newport MkIII) that is arriving next week and now the fun starts getting it all fitted out. Can anybody help with suggestons for an anchors suitable for the boat in and around the Chesapeake (type, size, best source).

I am sure I will have a lot more questions in the future. Although I have been boating for 50 years, most of my boats have been smaller and its always helpful to get the experience of others who have "been there".

John, it has been great to find this site. Nice Job! You obviously put a lot of effort into it.... I have learned a lot already from reading your postings and those of other members.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I have a Delta Fast Set by Lewmar in 14 lbs. Rated up to a 31' boat.

I use it to anchor when we spot fish and have never had a problem dragging. I'm usually in 25 to 35' of water and have been anchored in 2 foot chop and not drag at all. I also have about 30' of 5/16th chain and 175 feet of rode. The fast set is similar to the cqr without the stock hinge. I've also used a 13S Danforth in the bay and it's tributaries with great success.

Congratulations on the new boat......what an exciting time.... :D
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Richard,
There ain't nothing like a new boat! And it's an Albin. Congratulations! You have to bring it up and show it off!
Anchors...I have always used a Danforth on all my boats except this one. Never had any problem, never lost one.
I now have, what I call, a plow type anchor. I have anchored a few times this year and have not noticed any drag or problems at all.
I've been at coves, Poules Island in about 35 feet of water with 2-3" chop, and near Love point in 3-4' chop. Like Chief, I have about 30' of chain. More than I'm used to but with the Windlass (Maxwell) it doesn't matter much to me. As was mentioned in another post, I have to push the anchor out over the pulpit to get it started. Well, usually it's the admiral doing the pushing. <smile> Once started she just watches it for me until I back down and get it set. When bringing it up she just points me forward as I idle up on top of it.

50 years of boating? You must have started when you were 2 years old?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Richard,

I have a 33lb Bruce anchor. It's oversized for my Albin 28 but I used it on my last boat (40' sailboat) and just couldn't part with it. I have a windlass so the extra weight doesn't bother me. It sets every time and never drags. Another good chioce is a Danforth, which I like but I found the Bruce to be better in weeds. I used a 25 lb plow for a little while but it didn't work nearly as well as the Bruce. People swear by the plows, maybe the 25 lb is too light.

I like to go a size or two over the recommented size for the boat. I hate getting up in the middle of the night to fuss with the anchor!

Dave
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Thanks for all the input on the anchor.

I am definitely excited about the new boat and would be happy to show it to others. I hope to make the September Albin rendezvous (being planned by Louise) so that would be a good time to do it.

I took a trip to the Albin plant in RI in June to see the seating layout on the new model and talk to them about other changes in the works. All they had was a plywood mockup so I made my decision without seeing a finished boat. I am hoping the finished product works out as well as I think it will. (The photos of the first one they finished a few weeks ago that are up on the Albin website look good.)

John, as to your question about starting at age two, it was actually age 12. I used my paper route savings to buy a Sears 12 ft rowboat kit and the "water/boat bug" just never went away. I guess it's here to stay.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Richard,
I just took a look at your new boat. That seating arrangement is nice. You will truly enjoy it.

Sears boat? Yup. Me too. That was my first.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”