• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

install a water tank access hatch/cover

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

install a water tank access hatch/cover

Post by gmberkley »

I'm thinking of installing an access to my water storage tank, that way I can clean it, and get the water out of it easily for winterization, anyone have any thoughts/ideas.

thanks
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: install a water tank access hatch/cover

Post by Pitou »

I'm assuming that the tank area or areas that you wish to install the ports are flat and level. It's been a while since I've had my 28, but as I recall the plastic tank is pretty rigid, but with some flex. Is this correct?

If it has any flex to it, installing a typical rigid Beckson access hatch such as the Beckson DP80-W Screw-Out Deck Plate you will need to somehow have a backing plate from within or else I would drill and tap each screw hole through the plastic tank and most likely do this regardless using stainless hardware with a flat washer, lock washer and nut secured from inside the tank. Don't count on self tapping screws.

LifeSeal would be a good sealant for this application as it is compatible with plastics and retains some elasticity when cured.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

yes, Kevin, the tank is flat on the top, and doesn't support any weight at all. It sits well below the 3/4" wood access panel.
I like the idea of nuts, bolts , washers and lock washers, 316 ss ordered the hatch, will be delivered by Thursday, another project to add for the weekend.

thanks Kevin.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

i drilled into the plastic tank to instal a sender for the gauge.
The tank was surprisingly thick and sturdy, I had no problems using self tapping screws. (guessing 3/8" or perhaps 1/2" thick plastic.)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Norseman wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:26 pm i drilled into the plastic tank to instal a sender for the gauge.
The tank was surprisingly thick and sturdy, I had no problems using self tapping screws. (guessing 3/8" or perhaps 1/2" thick plastic.)
With the "one and done" nature of a sending unit, self tapping screws are certainly adequate. With the nature of an inspection port's continual use, I would still thread the holes with a tap and finish securing them with washers and a nut, but depending upon the thickness of the 2006 model year plastic water tank, self tapping with washers and nuts could be over engineered.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”