• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fresh Water Flush

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Fresh Water Flush

Post by DownEast2 »

Our new to us 2001 28' with a Yanmar engine has a hose fitting welded to the cap on the sea water strainer, It made for a quick flush with anti freeze for winter storage. I am thinking about connecting a hose and flushing with fresh water after each use. It sounds to me like a good idea to remove the salt water but I'd like to hear from some of the more experienced members about this idea.
Denis
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Fresh Water Flush

Post by Jkraft »

You can do it but be fairly careful on a couple of things. Make sure your hose does not collapse or kink. Quick way to burn up your impeller. Also you don’t want to over pressurize the system with dock water. Best practice would be to stick the end of the hose in a bucket and let the engine draw the water out on its own but it will suck it out FAST.

I don’t have a fresh water flush but dump some salt away in my sea strainer at the end of the weekend, Once I see foam come out of the exhaust I shut her down. Salt away works in both fresh water or salt
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”

Return to “Albin Maintenance”