• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1987 Nissan 78hp (LD28) Air Filter

Albin's "power cruisers"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

1987 Nissan 78hp (LD28) Air Filter

Post by JFOkie »

Looking for some assistance. Although I have the manual for my 1987 Nissan 78hp diesel engine (LD28) I can't seem to find a part number to purchase an air filter. I've looked on-line and went to a few automotive stores and they haven't been able to find a part number for it either.

So, does anyone have a part number for an air filter that fits this engine and have a good on-line dealer to purchase it from?

As always, thanks for your assistance!

John
"Nirvana"
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: 1987 Nissan 78hp (LD28) Air Filter

Post by Panhdjoe »

I do not belive they were orignaly equiped with a air filter. Perhaps other LD78M owners may share weather there engine has a setup or not. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Tahoma
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Great Loop

Post by Tahoma »

The original air fiter consisted of an expanded metal drum covered with a foam filter element. One can (as I did) purchase an appropriate diameter automotive filter such as an Fram CA3924 (shorter) or Wix 46179(longer) and make it work by replacing the factory stud with an appropriate length of 1/4-20 rod available at any decent sized hardware store.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Tahoma,

Just saw your post; great idea!

Will try it out this weekend, thanks.

John
Roy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton NH

Post by Roy »

The original filter as supplied by DePietro in Connecticut (the marinizer of the Nissan LD28) was a black foam filter. Years ago, I bought a replacement from JESCO in California for $28.

JESCO (Joe's Equipment) bought all the replacement parts from DePietro. The contact at JESCO is (was) Gary Machado in Ceres, CA, phone 209-537-5057.

Anyway, I found the same exact filter in WalMart in the shop vac area. Can't remember the cost, but it was about $5 for 2 filters.

Remember that air filters are far more critical for gas engines than they are for diesels. Explanation: Since air is mixed with the fuel in the carbureter of a gas engine it must be very clean air. In a diesel, the fuel is separately direct injected into the cylinder. Air does not go through the fuel injector. Furthermore, in a boat, you are only keeping out feathers, hair, and dust--not the grit found on a highway.

Hope this helps.

Roy
former owner of Whitecaps 85 A27AC Nissan
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Roy,

Great info! I will check out WalMart and pick up a pair.

Thanks,
John
"Nirvana"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”