• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Autopilot for Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
jcamill55
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: petaluma, ca.

Autopilot for Albin 25

Post by jcamill55 »

Do most Albin owners use a autopilot if so which brand and type of pilot do you use. Thanks Jim
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Texas

Re: Autopilot for Albin 25

Post by Robdog.1 »

Same question here. I'm seeing pretty good reviews of CPT autopilot. Simple, powerful and portable. Been around forever. Looks like about $1250.
Heading only, can't talk to your GPS.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Which autopilot you use is, in most cases, tied to the brand of chart plotter you have installed since they (should) integrate more readily.

If you make long passages they can be a great asset. By freeing up the helmsman you can be a more effective lookout, and they can reduce the fatigue that sets in on long runs.

I don't have one currently but it's on my list. Making the run from home to Block Island or Martha's Vineyard has some long (boring!) legs and it would be great to have an AP. plus they usually do a better job of steering a straight line!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I've heard nothing but good things about the Si-Tex AP's:

http://www.si-tex.com/index.php/product ... autopilots

They have a drive unit that actually replaces the steering helm called the "dash drive". I see it as a bonus if anyone was thinking of replacing their worn steering helm anyway. Only problem is the depth of the unit - it might require spacers due to limited clearance behind the dash. In an Albin 27 I'm told only one 3/4" spacer is needed. Not sure about an Albin 25. The alternative is to have it protrude into the head compartment.

The website has all the info regarding mounting and dimensions.

You've got me thinking. I'll have to shake my Autopilot piggy bank and see if I have enough yet!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”