• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27FC Leaks

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

27FC Leaks

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi everyone

I'm interested in buying a 27FC, one I recently looked at had a bad water problem in the forward cabin. The headliner under the forward part of the deck was barely hanging one and when the owner touched the area a bunch of rotten wood fell out from under the vinyl. And the area over the sink/icebox area was completely saturated, wood punky and the dish rack was really bad. The counter around the icebox felt really spongy.

I couldn't see where the water was coming in. The ports looked good from the outside so I'm thinking that somehow water is getting under the rub rail and coming in between the hull/deck joint.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

And if you own or know of a 27FC for sale, please let me know.

Thanks for the assistance

Jay Knoll
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: 27FC Leaks

Post by don123 »

It's usually the ports - All 11 of them on my 27 FC were replaced by the previous owner for exactly that reason. He upgraded to better ones and replaced most of the bad wood, though I did find some he missed on the back wall in the galley area

I had the same problem on a sailboat I used to own. The ports were poorly done from the factory - The biggest problem I found when I re-did them all was that they had drilled the holes for the screws which hold the whole 'sandwich' together, so there was no room for caulk around the screws where they passed through the cabin fiberglass and that allowed water to wick in through the threads on the screws, which ruined the interior paneling. I drilled out the holes so they were 3 or 4 times larger than the screws, rebedded them all in lots of caulk and never had another leak after that

Don
Brenda
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Redondo Beach

Re: 27FC Leaks

Post by Brenda »

We rebedded all of our windows and replaced the rotten wood inside. We no longer have a problem with leaks. We enjoy our family cruiser but are thinking of selling it. It is a 1985 FC with a 78 HP Nisson in Redondo Beach CA.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”